Should I seek medical help following a minor slip-and-fall?

On Behalf of | Sep 28, 2023 | Premises Liability

Slip-and-fall accidents can happen in a retail store, an apartment building, or even your own home. However, if you are on someone else’s property when the accident occurs, you may file a lawsuit to recover damages from property owners, store owners, landlords, and other negligent parties who may have caused your accident by failing to take reasonable steps to inspect the property, maintain the property in a safe condition, or remedy dangerous conditions.

Many slip-and-fall victims in Montana experience nothing more than a bruised ego. Unfortunately, others are not as lucky and end up with serious long-term physical injuries and mental distress.

It is generally in your best interest to seek medical attention after a slip-and-fall accident, even if it seems to be minor. An accident that seems to be minor at first, can quickly turn into something more serious if injuries appear in the days and weeks that follow the incident.

Immediate medical treatment can help support your case

Getting medical care as soon as possible after your accident is often the best thing to do for your health, as well as legally. If you decide to file a premises liability claim following your accident, your medical records will likely be used to establish the nature and extent of your injuries.

If you wait to seek medical care or do not seek medical care at all, it is easier for the property owner to say that you are exaggerating your injuries or that injuries you claim were caused by something else other than the slip-and-fall.

Medical experts will also reference your medical records as they give their expert opinion as to the cause and severity of your injuries and the necessity of the treatment you were prescribed.

Seeking medical attention after your slip-and-fall can help you prove that your accident resulted in injuries and that you are entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.


FindLaw Network