James T. Towe
James Thomas Towe is a Missoula attorney with experience handling a variety of civil cases. Over the past 20 years, he has tried or helped try cases in Montana's State and Federal courts throughout Montana. He has also handled and orally argued appeals before the Montana Supreme Court and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. He represents people who have been injured or wronged by railroads, insurance companies, and others.
Jamie is originally from Billings, Montana. He is the oldest son of Thomas E. Towe and Ruth Towe. After he graduated from Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colorado, he spent the next three years attending the University of Montana School of Law in Missoula, earning his law degree in 1994.
After graduating from law school he served a one year clerkship at the Montana Supreme Court working for the Honorable Justice Terry N. Trieweiler. After that, and ever since, he has worked in a private civil litigation practice beginning as an associate for Thueson & Lamb in Helena, Montana. After returning to Missoula and working for Milodragovich, Dale, Steinbrenner & Binney for a couple of years, he opened Towe Law Office in Missoula in July of 2002 until forming a partnership with John Fitzpatrick, Towe & Fitzpatrick.
Jamie is licensed to practice in all of Montana's state and federal courts. Memberships include the Montana State Bar, Montana Trial Lawyers Association, and American Association for Justice. He is a past president of the Montana Trial Lawyers Association and has been a board member of the MTLA for many years. He has been involved with MTLA seminars presenting as a speaker regarding the FELA which applies to injured railroad workers. He has provided pro bono legal work for the Missoula County Self Help Law Center and continues to provide pro bono representation through the Western Montana Bar Association Pro Bono Program.
When he is not working he enjoys fishing, sports, and spending time with family and friends.
Areas Of Practice
- Civil Cases
- Montana, 1994
- U.S. District Court District of Montana, 1994
- University of Montana School of Law, Missoula, Montana
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 1994
- Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 1991
- Major: Political Science
- Is the IRS Above the Law? Potential Remedies for Taxpayers Damaged by Unlawful IRS Conduct, 55 Montana Law Review 469, Vol. 55, No. 2, Summer, 1994
Honors and Awards
- Montana Trial Lawyer of the Year- Outstanding Trial Advocacy, 2015 - 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Montana State Bar, Member
- Montana Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Montana Trial Lawyers Association, President
- MTLA, Board Member
Past Employment Positions
- Montana Supreme Court, Honorable Justice Terry N. Trieweiler, Law Clerk, 1994 to 1995
- Thueson & Lamb, Associate
- Milodragovich, Dale, Steinbrenner & Binney
- Towe Law Office
Pro Bono Activities
- Missoula County Self Help Law Center
- Western Montana Bar Association Pro Bono Program